First Friday weekend Bows at the bottom, 2nd December – 4 and from Friday and Saturday until the end December 17th
KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 23, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — The Grinch and Cindy Lou Who, Santa, Mrs. Claus and Elves Head to West Bottoms Tree Lighting to Kick Off Holiday Weekends in Historic West Bottoms Friday, December 2in 5:30 p.m. Mrs. Claus will share hot cocoa and cookies to spread Christmas cheer, and dancers will perform. Bows in the Bottoms weekend events include First Friday Weekend, 2-4 december for all stores and every Friday and Saturday until the end December 17th for the many stores they plan to open.
In addition to the holiday weekends in December, most stores will also be open on Small Business Saturday, November 26.
The West Bottoms have been listening to the holidays since the 1930s on historic streets, when tall buildings and the three-story Christmas tree at 13th and Hickory became the norm for Christmas lights. The tree lighting will have holiday music and the artificial snow will “bow down” the magic of the festivities. The neighborhood is known for its stylishly displayed vintage and antiques. Many stores work with designers to create beautiful product displays to help customers create a look for their homes or find upcycled antiques that serve a new purpose. Shops also have new gear, clothing, trinkets, candles and more.
Many shoppers make a day of browsing more than 30 shops, starting with a coffee, then toasting whimsy in street bars and lunch. Options include:
- Java Garage – coffee, various hot and cold drinks and homemade goodies
- J’s BBQ Chef – Award Winning
- Evolo’s Italian delicacies at Good JuJu
- The Painted Rooster restaurant on the third floor of Bella Patina and the “Phase 2” coffee cart.
- West Bottoms Food Truck Wine and Food Options – Food truck options that line Hickory Street
- Full Moon Street Bar Festival
- Wine Tasting: Robin’s Nest, Treasures on 13th and Serendipity KC
Strolling down the block and savoring the moment, the spirit of this historic neighborhood preserves lasting memories.
“We lean into what they say. West Bottoms is a great place to find gifts and make your holiday plans,” said Amber Arnett-Bequeath, district spokeswoman. “The shops feel like a historic holiday wonderland. They touch all the senses, from the scents of candles and evergreen, tasty treats to the bows, baubles and sparkling decorations that create the spirit of Christmas. The month before Christmas shines brightly after the festival.” Full moon weekend. We see success in shopping because traditionally the month before Christmas is happy.”
DECEMBER BOW IN THE LONG WEEKEND SCHEDULE
- Small Business Saturday – November 26, many stores are planning to open. Details can be found on the store’s Facebook page.
- First Friday West Bottoms Weekend Shopping – – The theme of the Full Moon Weekend Festival is Bows at the bottom 2-4 december. Open Friday to Sunday – most shops are open Friday/Sat 9 o’clock in the morningclose around 18:00and Sunday from 11:00 a.m to 4. Admission is free. Specific store openings can be found on the Facebook pages of individual stores. Full Moon Street Bar will be open for the tree lighting and First Friday weekend.
- Holiday cast appearance schedule – The Grinch, Cindy Lou Who, Santa, Mrs. Claus, elves all present at the tree lighting. Other times on a rotating schedule.
o 12/2 noon – 6:30 p.m
ο 3. 12 11 a.m. to 4 p.m
o 12/9 11-15 hours
o 12/10 11 a.m. to 4 p.m
o 12/16 11-15 hours
o 17.12 11 a.m. to 4 p.m
- Tree lighting – v 5:30 p.m, Friday, December 2 at Hickory and 13thThursday. Snow will fall and the Grinch, Cindy Lou Who, Santa, Mrs. Claus and the elves will be ready for photos. Dancers from Donna’s Dance Academy of Belton will also perform, and music will round out the festivities. Hot cocoa and treats will be available for lighting.
- West Bottoms weekend shopping in December – Many stores plan to be open on Fridays and Saturdays as well December 17th. Check the Facebook pages of individual stores for specific store openings.
- Food Truck Wine and dine – along Hickory between 13Thursday and 12
- Escape from the full moon – Escape games have slots available for groups under 11 to test their wits and solve puzzles to find their way out of locked rooms within 60 minutes. Although these games are not scary – they bring excitement. You can find the opening hours on the website.
About the West Bottoms Historic Entertainment District:
The West Bottoms Historic Entertainment District, located just off the 12th Street Bridge, has 22 warehouses in a thirteen-block area with approximately 600 vendors and over thirty shops and restaurants. Many of its large, multi-story buildings have a history dating back more than 120 years. These remodeled, sprawling spaces form the largest year-round indoor vintage entertainment district. West Bottoms is a destination for visitors and shoppers, including interior decorators, designers and collectors, who seek stylish decorations and gifts with a history and patina that cannot be imitated. westbottoms.com
SOURCE West Bottoms Historic Entertainment District