Gator sophomore Leanne Wong competed on vault for the U.S. She performed two vaults but cannot advance to the finals of the event as Americans and fellow NCAA competitors Jade Carey (Oregon State) and Jordan Chiles (UCLA) led the subsection vault. After completing 10 qualifying sessions, the top eight overall advance to the apparatus finals. Each apparatus final can contain a maximum of two from one nation.
The women’s team final is Tuesday, November 1st, with action beginning at 2:30pm ET. All medal sessions are streamed on NBC’s Peacock. The top three teams have secured places at the 2024 Olympics in Paris.
|USA Subdivision I World Championship Results
October 29, 2022
|event||Skye Blakely||Jade Carey||Jordan Chiles||Shiles Jones||Leanne Wong|
|*first/second safe. Not everyone competed in two jumps|
Women’s team qualification results 2022
Wong was named to the six-man USA Gymnastics World Championships roster a week ago at a team selection camp in Katy, Texas.
NCAA influence on US Worlds roster
Prior to the 2022 World Championships, only six have competed as collegians and been part of the USA World Championship team in the same calendar year. That number is now nine like Wong, Jordan Chiles (UCLA) and Jade Carey (Oregon State) all competed as freshmen in 2022 NCAA action.
Wong won silver in the all-around and bronze in the floor exercise at the 2021 World Championships in Japan. She is fair one of only three American gymnasts ever compete as a collegiate between consecutive World Championships.
|name||college (years)||World Cup||Medal|
|Leanne Wong||Florida (2022-||2021 and 2022||2021 World Silver (all-around), floor (bronze); Four All-American honors at the 2022 NCAA Championships, including 5thThursday in the all-aroundd|
|Alicia Sacramone||Brown (2007)||2006 and 2007||2006 World Silver (Team)
2007 World Gold (Team), Floor (Silver), Bronze (Vault); competed as an individual at the 2007 NCAAs (9.85 FX)
|Kathy Johnson Clarke||Centenary (1978–79)||1978 and 1979||1978 Worlds bronze (floor); Swept 1978 AIAW Championships event titles (small college division)|
Of the Gators currently enrolled at UF, Wong was among four to compete at the World Championships. Morgan Hurd (2017 and 2018), Riley McCusker (2018) a Kayla DiCello (2021) also represented the USA in World Championship action. McCusker and Hurd won team gold in 2018. Hurd won the all-around title at the World Championships in 2017 and DiCello won bronze in the all-around in 2021.
O Leanne Wong:
· 2021 World All-Around Championships silver medalist; floor exercise bronze
· One of four alternate gymnasts for the US Olympic Gymnastics team and traveled to Tokyo for the Summer Games.
· 2022 OOFOS US Gymnastic Championships co-uneven bars winner; fifth place on beam
· 2022 USA All-Around, Vault and Floor Champion
· Member of the 2022-23, 2020-21, 2019-20 and 2018-19 USA Senior National Teams and the 2018-19 and 2017-18 USA Junior National Teams
· Eight-time All-American in 2022 – Four NCAA Championships honors were high among freshmen
· 2022 Southeastern Conference Beam Champion (9.975)
· 2022 NCAA Auburn Regional All-Around runner-up (39,875) with second-highest total in 2022
· Two 10.0s in 2022 – uneven bars (vs Arkansas) and vault (NCAA Auburn Regional finals). Owns collegiate best of 9.975 on beam and floor
World Cup schedule (all medal round sessions stream live on NBC’s Peacock)
29-30 October Qualification of women’s teams.
November 1 Women’s Team Finals – 2:30 PM ET
Nov. 3, Women’s All-Around Finals – 2:45 p.m. ET
Nov. 5 Women’s Vault & Bars Finals – 9:30 a.m. ET
Nov. 6 Women’s Balance and Floor Exercise Finals – 8:30 a.m. ET
Schedule of World Gymnastics Championships