The former California police officer involved in the fatal shooting of Tyrell Wilson will not be charged



CNN

A former Northern California police officer jailed in connection with one fatal shooting will not be charged in a second fatal shooting that killed Tyrell Wilson, a 32-year-old black man, the Contra Costa District Attorney’s office announced Friday.

On March 11, 2021, Deputy Andrew Hall with the Danville Police Department responded to an overpass where Wilson was allegedly throwing rocks onto the highway, according to a law enforcement-involved fatality report released Friday. During the encounter, the two engaged in a verbal exchange and Wilson pulled a pocketknife from his jacket, the report said.

Hall pointed his gun at Wilson and ordered him to “drop the knife” three times. But Wilson took two to three steps toward Hall, raised the knife to his chest, looked up at the sky and said, “Kill me,” before shooting him once in the head, according to the deputy’s report.

Wilson was hospitalized and died of a fatal gunshot wound two days later, according to a law enforcement fatal incident report that summarized the opinions and analysis of two use-of-force experts and included a legal analysis of the encounter between Hall and Wilson. with an explanation of the billing decision.

“After reviewing all available evidence, one reasonable inference points to innocence and another reasonable inference points to guilt,” the report concluded. “No criminal charges will be filed in this matter at this time.”

CNN has reached out to attorney John Burris, who represents the Wilson family, and attorney Michael Rains, who represents Hall, for comment.

“This was a difficult and challenging case,” District Attorney Diana Becton said in a statement. “My legal team and I spent a significant amount of time and resources evaluating the evidence before reaching this conclusion. As a community, we must find ways to de-escalate law enforcement encounters where the use of force leads to tragic consequences.”

“The loss of Tyrell Wilson’s life weighs heavily on our community and I extend my deepest condolences to the Wilson family,” Becton added.

According to Becton’s office, the Wilson family was notified of the decision to charge in person before the report was released.

Hall also faced multiple charges in the 2018 shooting death of a man during a slow-speed chase. Hall shot Laudemer Arboleda, a 33-year-old Filipino-American, nine times during a 2018 pursuit as Arboleda tried to slowly maneuver his car between two police vehicles, the news release said.

Hall was convicted of assault with a firearm in October 2021 and was sentenced to six years in prison, according to criminal court records. As of 2021, Hall has been a police officer for over seven years.

Wilson’s family filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the city of Danville, Calif., and police officers after a video surfaced showing part of the shooting.

Regarding the video in the 2021 complaint, Burris noted that “even though (the knife) was still in Mr. Wilson’s possession at the time of the shooting, the video clearly shows that Mr. Wilson did not take any aggressive action during that time frame.”

In an earlier press release, Burris also said there was no evidence that Wilson “was involved in the rock-throwing,” adding that Wilson was “well-known among everyday commuters who all knew him to be personable and easy-going.” The press release also stated that Wilson was homeless and had been diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic.

Diane Wilson holds a photo of her son Tyrell Wilson.

“My son was never, ever violent,” said Wilson’s mother, Diana. “I haven’t seen the video, I don’t want to see the video. I want my last thoughts and pictures of my son to be the beautiful man he is.’

“I want the officer to get some kind of justice because I don’t want another parent or father to go through what we’re going through right now,” she added. “I’m thinking about my baby, it’s making me cry.”

Lee Housekeeper, a spokesman for Burris, previously told CNN that the attorney general’s office was in the process of filing a lawsuit when it found several eyewitnesses to the shooting who offered new information, including video.

“The video and witness statements show this was a cold-blooded murder,” Burris said in a statement. “Wilson never had a chance.

Source

Leave a Comment