FOLLOW OHIO MEN’S BASKETBALL: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
ATHENS, Ohio — The Ohio men’s basketball team (1-3) is back in action for the 2022 Bobcat Battle, hosting the Bobcats 25-27. Nov. inside the Convocation Center. The Bobcats will play Eastern Illinois on Nov. 25 at 2 p.m., followed by Alabama State (0-6) on Nov. 27 at 2 p.m., and Alabama State and Eastern Illinois on Saturday, Nov. 26 at 2 p.m. inside Convo. The Bobcats’ matchup with EIU will be on ESPN3 with Russ Eisenstein and Rob Cornelius. The Alabama State game will be on ESPN+ with Marty Bannister and Dave Cecutti.
Bobcats games can also be heard on the Ohio Sports Network from Learfield. WXTQ (Power 105) in Athens returns as the network’s 11-station flagship.
• The Bobcat Battle is a three-team MTE hosted by Ohio at the Convocation Center. The three-game event is run by RPPI.
• Ohio lost 70-66 in overtime at No. Michigan on Sunday night in Ann Arbor.
• This is the Bobcats’ first ever meeting with Alabama State and Eastern Illinois.
• EIU enters the game with a 1-4 record, with losses to Ohio State, Central Michigan and Illinois State and a win over Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.
• Alabama State comes to Athens 0-6 with losses to Pitt, USC, San Jose State, Pepperdine and UAB.
• Alabama State loses at Duquesne on Wednesday night.
• Dwight Wilson III was a monster Sunday at Michigan, scoring 21 points, grabbing nine rebounds and hitting a game-tying basket late in regulation to force overtime.
• Ohio posted an impressive 542-178 (.756) record at the Convocation Center, which opened in 1968.
• Ohio finished 25-10 last season, with its 25 wins tied for fourth most in program history.
• Ohio will welcome nine newcomers to the roster for the season, including transfers Jaylin Hunter, DeVon Baker and Gabe Wiznitzer.
• Ohio also adds six freshmen to this year’s roster.
• Ohio returns three members of the 2021 NCAA Tournament team s Ben Roderick, Miles Brown and Dwight Wilson III back in green and white.
• Dwight Wilson III returns to Ohio after missing the entire 2021-22 season with a knee injury.
• The Bobcats also return three sophomores from last season’s roster, AJ Clayton, Olumide Adelodun and IJ Ezuma.
• Ohio enters the season losing its top three scorers from last season.
• Overall, the Bobcats return just three that saw significant playing time last year, losing 10 to graduation and the transfer portal.
• Ohio spent nine days in Spain on its overseas tour in August. While there, Ohio played three games against the Spain Select team, which consisted of Spanish professional players.
• Ohio was picked fifth in the 2022 MAC Coaches Poll.
SCOUTING EASTERN ILLINOIS
Easter Illinois enters the Ohio game 1-4 with a win over Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.
As a team, EIU is averaging 62.2 points and 37.2 rebounds per game. The Panthers are shooting .354 from the field, .262 from three and .579 from the line. EIU also hands out 11.0 assists per game while forcing 20.0 turnovers and 11.6 steals a game.
Meanwhile, opponents are averaging 64.4 points and 45.4 rebounds per game. He is shooting .395 from the field, .316 from three and .590 from the line. Opponents are also dishing out an average of 12.8 assists per game while grabbing 7.0 steals and forcing 14.2 turnovers per game.
Individually, EIU is led by Kinyon Hodges, who is averaging 12.2 points and 5.2 rebounds per game. He is also shooting .424 from the field and .538 from the line. Yaakema Rose adds 9.4 points per game and is shooting .362 from the field, while Cameron Haffner adds 6.3 points per game.
ALABAMA STATE SCOUTING
Michigan enters the Ohio game with a 3-1 record after falling to Duquesne 75-57 on Wednesday night.
As a team, Alabama State is averaging 59.7 points and 36.5 rebounds per game. Alabama State is shooting .329 from the field, .317 from three and .677 from the line. Alabama State is also dishing out 9.8 assists per game while forcing 12.3 turnovers and grabbing 4.8 steals per game.
Meanwhile, opponents are averaging 86.0 points and 43.3 rebounds per game. He is shooting .499 from the field, .417 from three and .667 from the line. Opponents are also dishing out an average of 16.2 assists per game while grabbing 6.8 steals and forcing 12.8 turnovers per game.
Alabama State is led individually by TJ Madlock, who is averaging 14.0 points and 5.3 rebounds per game. He is also shooting .364 from the field and .407 from three. Isaiah Range adds 10.0 points per game and is shooting .857 from the line, while Alex Anderson adds 8.2 points and 5.2 rebounds per game.
Ohio enters the game against Michigan with a 1-3 record, having fallen to No. 20 Michigan, 70-66 in overtime last Sunday in Ann Arbor.
As a team, Ohio is averaging 72.5 points and 37.0 rebounds per game, while opponents are averaging 74.5 points and 35.3 rebounds per game. The Bobcats are also shooting .430 from the field, .354 from three and .784 from the line. Ohio also adds 12.0 assists, 6.0 steals and forces 12.5 turnovers per game.
Opponents are shooting .459 from the field, .343 from three and .641 from the line while dishing out 14.3 assists, 6.3 steals and 12.3 turnovers per game.
Individually, Dwight Wilson III leads Ohio with 13.3 points and 11.0 rebounds per game. He is shooting .523 from the field and .875 from the line. Miles Brown adding 12.0 points per game on .471 shooting from three. DeVon Baker adds 11.5 points per game Jaylin Hunter averaged 11.5 points and 4.3 assists per game while shooting .429 from the field and .409 from three.
ALL TIME VS. EASTERN ILLINOIS
This is the first ever meeting between Ohio and Eastern Illinois.
LAST VS. STATE OF ALABAMA
This is the first ever meeting between Ohio and Alabama State
LAST TIME OUT
With 2.1 seconds remaining and Ohio trailing by two, the graduate student moved forward Dwight Wilson III tied the game at 63-63 as time expired. However, the Ohio State men’s basketball team (1-3) couldn’t overcome No. 20 Michigan (4-1) in overtime Sunday night (Nov. 20), falling 70-66 at the Crisler Center.
As a team, Ohio shot 35 percent from the field, 25 percent from three and was 5 of 11 from the line, while Michigan shot 38 percent from the field, 31 percent from three and was 12 of 20 from the line. . Ohio outrebounded Michigan, 49-46 and added 14 assists to its 12. Ohio also grabbed six steals and forced 11 turnovers, while Michigan had three steals and forced eight turnovers.
Individually, Ohio Wilson III led the way with 21 points, going 10-of-19 from the field and grabbing nine rebounds, followed by the junior guard. Jaylin Hunter with 14 points, six rebounds and five assists. Senior Miles Brown added 11 points, nine rebounds and four assists. Senior forward Ben Roderick added six points while the senior guard DeVon Baker scored five points and grabbed five rebounds. Sophomore forward AJ Clayton grabbed seven rebounds.
Hunter Dickinson led Michigan with 24 points and 12 rebounds, followed by Jett Howard with 13 points.
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
Ohio posted an impressive 542-178 (.756) all-time record at the Convocation Center, which opened in 1968.
Ohio went 15-2 in the Convo last season.
ABOUT THE BOBCAT BATTLE
The Bobcat Battle is a three-team MTE hosted by Ohio at the Convocation Center. The three-game event is run by RPPI.
RPPI has organized over 850 sports and entertainment events in its almost 40 years of activity. RPPI’s history dates back to its founder, Russ Potts, who served as the first sports marketing director in the history of collegiate athletics at the University of Maryland. A pioneer in the world of sports, Russ served as the Athletic Director at Southern Methodist University (SMU), then served as Vice President of the Chicago White Sox before founding Russ Potts Productions, Inc. Russ later served 16 years in the Senate from Virginia.
Currently led by President Zach Franz and Vice President of Business Development Adam Syprzak, RPPI specializes in the organization and promotion of live sports and entertainment events. In addition, RPPI’s focus extends to consultancy in the areas of sports facility management, sponsorship sales, group travel and various business development roles on behalf of its clients.
MONSTER NIGHT IN ANN ARBOR
Forward Dwight Wilson III was a monster against No. 20 Michigan on Nov. 20. By the end of the night, Wilson III had a season-high 21 points with nine rebounds while going 10-of-19 from the field.
So far on the season, DWIII leads Ohio State with 13.3 points and 11.0 rebounds per game.
USE OF EXTRA POINTS
Three games into the season and the Bobcats are capitalizing on their free throws.
As of Nov. 24, Ohio ranks 21st in the NCAA in free throw percentage, shooting .784 (40-of-51) from the line.
A HUNTER LOOKING FOR A GROOVE
In his second game for the Bobcats, the junior guard Jaylin Hunter began to find his groove in the green and white.
Hunter led Ohio against Cleveland State, posting 17 points, four rebounds and seven assists in the win.
As of November 24, Hunter is averaging 11.5 points and 4.3 assists per game.
After the Bobcat battle, Ohio is back in action on Wednesday, November 30th when Ohio hosts UC-Clermont at 7pm inside the Convo.